Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Forgotten Son/Attention Whore

This is the story of another funeral for a young man in his twenties. He was a person that is best defined as "sickly" and he had many, many medical conditions such as diabetes and immune deficiency. This was a tragic death because in our modern age, it's possible for a person with such conditions to live a relatively long life. Unfortunately, as I watched his divorced parents step out for a smoke every 5 minutes, I realized that they had inundated his life with fighting, intense second-hand smoke and neglect. The parents had a bitter divorce, they smoked inside the house and he ended up dying from a diabetic attack after he couldn't get to his insulin while his mother was out drinking at a Red Wings game. While nobody's perfect, it seems that they could have at least smoked outdoors to preserve their son's life, but alas. Cigarettes are the scourge of our nation, our country's founding was based off the tobacco economy and now lung cancer is the number one cancer, killing hundreds of thousands every year. Not only that, but incidents like this show the damaging effect of second-hand smoke and how an addiction can be more important to someone than their own son. It's sad really.

A side note her is an incident that happened after the funeral. This woman (not family) weeped loudly and obnoxiously in the lobby of the funeral home. I understand that grief is difficult, but incidents such as this are purely for attention. There is no need to put on this sort of show, it's disrespectful to the family and especially this deceased. When the mother and father of the deceased can control themselves, you should be able to as well.

This funeral was full of really awful overtones, I felt shitty the entire time I worked that day. Watching the broken up family filling our ash-trays to the brim and mourning the death of this unfortunate individual was difficult. Something bad was in the air that day, I can't really explain it but it left a bad taste in my mouth about humanity and about family.

No comments:

Post a Comment